Manufacturing - Machinist
Title and Role: Manufacturing - Machinist - (Reports to Machine Shop Leader)
This role supports our machine shop to produce precision metal parts. This includes proper set up and operating a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. In addition, this role may fabricate and modify parts to make, repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines via applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
Over the last 35 years our organization has been a specialist in our products. In fact, we are the only company in the world who specializes in clutch return spring packs. This laser sharp focus, combined with great people putting forth a tremendous amount of effort, has enabled us to be the global leader in our market.
Our organization collaborates with our customers all around the world in product development, and then manufacture these products on proprietary manufacturing equipment and processes we design and build internally. While millions of these products are shipped within the United States, more than 50% are exported, the majority of which go to China.
We are currently experiencing very rapid growth as we are on a trajectory to double in size in the next 2 years. It’s because of this explosive growth that we look at ourselves a 35 year old start up.
While our company’s growth is exciting and will present some great opportunities and challenges, this is not what makes us special. In fact, many mediocre companies are capable of growing to a larger size. What separates us from others is 1) our common desire to have an impact and 2) our people.
Those with our organization share a common desire to have an impact on people. For some, this is the impact that can be made on the people within our four walls, while for others it may mean the impact within our community or the millions of lives we impact all around the world each day.
Our ability to make an impact is a direct result of our people. We firmly believe the difference between an average organization and phenomenal, long term success is a function of the organization’s people. What does this mean? It means believing that our people are our most important asset, and then treating them this way. It means providing people with the opportunity to work with other high performers whom they respect and can learn from. It means giving people tough challenges to solve in order to grow personally and professionally.
There is a company to be built here, a world class one, and we are looking for those who are excited to be a part of that, but aren’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and work hard, take ownership, and ultimately have a direct impact on the lives of many people near and far.
- Review samples, drawings or instructions to understand specifications of output
- Take measurements and mark material for cutting or shaping
- Follow provided plan for the sequence of necessary actions to complete the job to specifications
- Monitor output to ensure consistency with specifications and discard defects
- Monitor machine while working to identify issues
- Perform routine machine maintenance
- All paperwork and labeling must be legible, clear and correct
- Must ensure workspace is clean and no safety hazards exist (trip hazards, etc.) at end of shift
- Follow all procedures, policies and rules (includes but is not limited to: safety rules, behavior expectations, timekeeping, etc)
Desired Job Requirements
- Must have 3-5 years’ experience as a machinist: Vocational school or apprenticeship preferred;
- Experience in using and/or programming manual, semi-automated or automated tools and machines (lathes, grinders etc.)
- Excellent manual dexterity, accuracy and attention to detail
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to work all shifts and overtime-weekends Must be able to perform all of the following tasks:
- Properly use all precision measuring instruments
- Understand how to read prints and have knowledge of GD&T
- Machine components to tolerance on manual machines such as mills, lathes, and grinders
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision
- Must work well with others-participative environment and team player
- Performs all duties in a safe manner and to all standards: 0 safety incidents every day
- Attendance: 0 unexcused absences every month
- Must be able to machine parts to print in a timely matter: Must achieve efficiency % on all jobs that the employee has worked after standard training period. Achieves 100% quality parts upon completion of standard training period
- Ensures work area is clean and organized daily
- 100% compliance and adherence to all policies and procedures